Easy Tutu Tutorial
Why buy tutus if you and your little girl can make one.
1. Tulle – One spool each of whatever colors you need. If you are doing one color, do two spools.
2. Elastic – 1/2″ or larger. It really doesn’t matter
3. Needle and Thread
1. First, measure, cut, and sew your elastic.
2. If you have the baby/child there with you, measure the baby/child. I cut 16 inches and then sewed the waist to be about 14 1/2 inches for a newborn. Add about an inch for each size up.
3. You can sew the elastic by hand or machine. If you use a sewing machine, use a zig zag stitch to secure the elastic.
4. Next, find something to hold the elastic while you tie on the tulle. I used a hanger, but you can use anything such as your thigh, a cylinder, just make sure not to stretch the elastic too much.
5. Now it is time to cut! I cut each strip at 16″. After tying, this gives the tutu a length of about 6 1/2-7″ long.
6. Now for tying! This technique is a little different than most of the tutorials you will find.
Take one of each of your colors and put them together. Then you will tie a knot around the elastic. Don’t tie it too tight. Make sure you can still move the tulle easily (but not too easily! ) Then you will tie a knot again in the other direction. Having each tie go a different direction allows for more fluff in the tutu. You can make sure each tie is going in the same direction if that is a look you prefer.
7. Keep tying knots until you reach the end.
Once done, you can add a pretty ribbon to finish it off.
You must be signed in to comment. Sign in or Register