Chocolate Chip Pavlovas With Berries and Apricots
The egg whites and fat-free yogurt in this recipe keep the cholesterol low, but small amounts of cream of tartar and chocolate chips give this dessert a decadent quality. Topped with apricots and raspberries, you'll have a sweet yet slightly tart finish to your Christmas meal.
• 3 large egg whites
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
• 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 3/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
• 3 apricots, pitted and thinly sliced (peaches/nectarines are also delicious)
• 200 grams berries (strawberries or raspberries work well)
• 4 tablespoons fat-free vanilla yogurt
1. Preheat oven to 200°. Trace 4 (3-inch) circles onto 2 sheets of parchment paper (8 circles total), leaving 1 inch between. Place paper onto baking sheets.
2. In a large bowl, beat egg whites with mixer on medium speed just until foamy. Increase speed to medium-high, add salt and cream of tartar, and beat until egg whites form soft peaks. Add 1/4 cup sugar, a tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat just until stiff peaks form. Add vanilla. Fold in chocolate chips with a rubber spatula.
3. Starting at the centre, spoon meringue onto the circles, using 1/2 cup per circle. Use a spoon to press in centre of each meringue to shape it into a nest.
4. Place one baking sheet on the middle oven rack and one on the bottom. Bake for 1 hour or until set, switching sheets halfway through. Turn off heat; let cool in the oven 8 hours or overnight. Pavlovas will be crisp on the bottom.
5. Combine fruit mixture and remaining 2 teaspoons sugar in a bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Top each meringue with 1/2 tablespoon yogurt, then fruit. Serve immediately.
You must be signed in to comment. Sign in or Register