Hot Mamma! Summer Pregnancy Tips
Cooling tips for a hot mamma
Being heavily pregnant isn’t comfortable at the best of times, but add to that a hot, humid summer and you’re asking for ankles the size of rugby balls and sweat patches the size of a small continent.
Here are some reachME tips for keeping cool this summer.
• Don’t go out in the middle of the day! You’ve got a great excuse to put your feet up and lose hours looking for baby room inspiration on Pinterest.
• Keep hydrated! It’s so important to keep your fluid intake up. If you’re tired of drinking gallons of water then treat yourself to an ice-block (or two).
• If you feel lightheaded or dizzy, get out of the sun. What are you doing in the sun anyway? You should be in the shade!
• Wear light-coloured cotton clothing that reflects sunlight. Dark colours will make you feel hotter. Stick to wearing natural fabrics such as cotton or linen that allow quick evaporation of moisture and allow your skin to breathe. Now is not the time for maternity jeans that go over the bump.
• Apply sunscreen at least 20 minutes before venturing into the sun to prevent sunburn. Pregnant skin tends to be more prone to burning and blotching in the sun due to hormonal influences so try to up your SPF factor.
• Take quick showers frequently to keep cool and carry a spray bottle of water to spritz yourself if you feel uncomfortably hot. Note: being pregnant does not excuse the use of battery-operated hand fans, but real fans look awesome.
• Put your feet up often to alleviate swelling and improve circulation.
• No salty snacks! Minimize salt intake to decrease swelling due to water retention.
• Take frequent naps. The heat can really wear you out, and you'll feel much better if you're getting enough rest.
• Don’t forget to ask for help if you're too tired to cook, clean or do anything much at all. As your pregnancy progresses and the heat rises, you might be too exhausted to keep up with your usual routine. You’ve got an excuse… use it!
You must be signed in to comment. Sign in or Register